Arriving in Shanghai Pudong International Airport, China, without hesitation, reminded me that the “valley” mentality I hailed from needed to remain 8,000 miles away. If the mob of people crowding the terminal exit didn’t suggest so, the vast architecture of the airport surely did. Paul Andreu, airport architect extraordinaire, did an amazing job with the design. I’ve never experienced an airport with such a soaring-free feeling atmosphere amid the swarm of chaos contained within it.
My first impression of Shanghai included mixed feelings. I envisioned the likeness of New York City (smog, reckless traffic, people, people, people…etc), but Shanghai did not disappoint with its own oriental flares. In between the city’s many modern ambitions peaked the roofs of elaborate-traditional buildings.
On our way to East China Normal University, my eyes scanned for the new and exciting, but I must admit when I saw a Walmart conveniently placed outside of ECNU’s main gate, my heart skipped a beat. I’m all for exploring outside of familiar territory, but something about seeing the big blue sign seemed awfully comforting. Culture shock? No longer a high priority worry. Surprisingly, the little irrelevant things became the most troublesome. I see how this study abroad experience starts to mature people. You suddenly find yourself counting blessings for the most random first-world privileges taken for granted everyday, i.e…
Toilet paper
Now that one jumped from being priority #2345 immediately to #1 when I quickly discovered that this necessity back at home was almost a luxury here in China (among many other things).
Here's to the next 4.5 months!
I'm looking forward to following along on your journey Quynh! Enjoy each day. You're going to learn soooo much about the world and about yourself. You are amazing!