"Why China?!"
The, almost, usual response I've been hearing ever since announcing my study abroad destination. The decision wasn't an instant obvious for me, but after careful considerations of the lifestyle, relevancy, and opportunities, Shanghai became the clearer choice. The city does suffer from the wrath of Westernization--which lends to its identity crisis--competing for notoriety with the big leagues like New York, London, and the likes. All cities have their share of bad reputations, but it still bewilders me why many people often overlook the exoticism of the East. Don't get me wrong, I've had a brief-encounter with Europe a few years ago which left me craving for an extended immersion. The beautiful-classic cobblestone streets, fresh glazed croissants in Paris, awe inspiring art famous worldwide, racing stubborn pigeons in plazas (any open space, really), and the laid back culture of sidewalk cafes are all too enticing to pass up. In comparison, Shanghai has the glamor of East and West, the modern skyline alongside the historic districts, an ambitious economy, and boasting the title as China's financial center. Shanghai is a "Glittering Metropolis". This time around, I want an experience unlike anything I'm comfortable with.
A super-sized...
挑战
xoxo,
Quynh